Monday, February 16, 2009

Anna Wannabe ~

She's my hero! Color, pattern and all-out sense of the absurd mixed with ethnic tradition.
Anna Zilboorg, an Anglican Solitary living in the Blue Ridge Mountains, is a master of color and design. She uses pattern and color derived from traditional patterns that she has gleaned from her travels.
Simply Socks, originally published as Fancy Feet, is the latest addition to my Anna book collection. Lovely, lovely socks with spectacular photos and knitting drafts.
45 Fine & Fanciful Hat to Knit is another of her masterpieces. I've drawn oodles of inspiration from this book. I showed the book to Judith MacKenzie McCuin last fall at a workshop, and she hadn't heard of the title ~ which proves my theory that all of Anna's books need to be reissued.
Last week I picked up a copy of Magnificent Mittens from the library which I requested on inter-library loan (the Whatcom County Library System has the BEST inter-library loan system current at NO charge). At first I wasn't as blown away by this book as I expected, but then I looked a bit deeper. Anna has a whole lot more basic instruction in this book ~ the details are wonderful! With copies going for about $100 on the internet, I gather it will be sometime before I allow myself to purchase a copy....hmmmm, I wonder what I could sell in my stash to justify the purchase....
If you see any of Anna Zilboorg's books at a used book store, snatch them up. You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment