Monday, September 28, 2009

sunday afternoon in the park with bill ~

mushroom2

Yesterday was the Cornwall Park Disc Golf tournament. Dad (aka Bill) decided to take part. He’s been playing every morning for a year ~ about two hours a day. He may not be the local pro yet, but at (almost) 73, he scored better than some of the younger dudes.

mushroom1

We grew up with our backyard leading into the park, so this was our natural playground. We’d play on the park swings, roam the hills, and bike like mad through the trails before there was even a hit of a mountain bike fad.

mushroom4

I remembered to bring my camera with me to take some shots of the tournament. But I have to admit, the “nature” in the park was enchanting ~ the tournament soon took a photographic back seat.

mushroom3

There were mushrooms and toadstools galore throughout our walk as the group dad was playing with circled about 10 holes. Most of these mushrooms were at least 7” in diameter and 6-7” tall. They were amazing.

cedar

The park is filled with the most amazing trees: cedar, fir, hemlock, maples, etc. They are some of the oldest and largest trees in Bellingham. One of the problems with the disc golf course in the park is that the trees are natural obstacles and get whapped by discs constantly. The bark gets damaged like the cedar in the photo above. This, supposedly, isn’t a big deal for the older trees, but is not good for younger ones. Personally, it is really a shame they can’t figure a better way to play around some of the trees.

golf1

Not sure which hold this was taken at, but it gives you an idea about the height of the trees.

chestnut

There’s a small row of chestnut trees at the southeast entrance to the park by the elementary school I went to 35 years ago. I use to collect the chestnuts on my way home from school ~ it was my “collection”. I’d glue each chestnut carefully to a sheet of paper ~ oh, how I loved my chestnut collections.

dragonfly

I couldn’t believe how close I was able to get to this dragonfly ~ such wonderful shape and color.

berries

The colors of fall were starting to show everywhere.

golf2

This is the last hole we watched before heading home. See the big pack the guy on the left was carrying ~ most of the guys what these filled with their discs. Poor guy wasn’t play so well, but he did have a lot of discs.

Dad told us where there was a patch of native cyclamen that we would pass on our way up the hills. The leaves were starting to break through the ground ~ another sign of impending fall. Soon the shuttlecock flowers will be gone for another season.

cyclmen

3 comments:

  1. Your nature shots are amazing! You must have a pretty great camera to get so clear and close. Mine does not do that...can I have yours??Really nice Julietta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you think it is the camera and not my skill as a photographer? ;)

    I lucked out with my little Casio Exilim EX-Z77. It is small and has a big screen. I bought it for $100 and it is better than my husband's $250 camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent pictures!!! You really push the limits on angles and proximity. You've got me thinking! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete